Lil Em's Royal Icing
Royal Icing is a sweet and malleable icing that is PERFECT for decorating cookies
8 cups Powdered Sugar
5 tbsps Meringue Powder
3/4 cups Water, warmed in microwave for 30 seconds
1 tsps Light Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsps Pure Vanilla Extract
1 tbsps Light Corn Syrup
*Using two different vanillas and corn syrup are OPTIONAL. Take my Royal Icing 101 course for explanation!
1. Measure your powdered sugar into your mixing bowl and set aside
2. Warm water in microwave for 30 seconds. Add meringue powder and whisk til frothy. Add extracts and whisk to combine.
3. Fit your mixing bowl into your stand mixer. Add water/merengue powder/ flavor mixture. Combine on low.
4. Add corn syrup
5. Once mixture starts to look gooey, turn your mixer up one notch and let mix for 3 minutes.
6. Your icing should look soft and cloud-like, while forming stiff peaks. If your mixer is really struggling or the mixture looks like it’s not coming together, add water as needed. A little water goes a long way so start with a tiny amount (about a tablespoon) and go from there. If it’s not forming stiff peaks, add up to one more cup of powdered sugar and mix for an additional minute.
7. This is stiff icing and will need to be thinned out with water to achieve different consistencies suitable for decorating.
8. Move to an airtight container. Keeps for one week at room temp and one month if frozen.
*notes: It is very much recommended that you make Royal Icing with a stand mixer. A hand mixer will also work. It is possible to mix RI by hand but it will not be easy... you’ve been warned.
I usually recommend to weigh everything with a kitchen scale. I do not, however, weigh my ingredients for RI. It is a pretty foolproof substance. Too thin? Add powdered sugar. Too thick? Add water.