Chicken Milanesa Torta
This Mexican inspired sandwich hits all the notes- crispy, tangy, creamy, spicy, and so delicious!
2 chicken breasts sliced in half into cutlets and patted dry (about 1lb)
½ c pickled jalapeno brine**
1.5c panko bread crumbs on a plate
1c flour on a plate
1 egg scrambled with 1 TBS water
Measure the following with your heart: salt and taco seasoning (or a blend of granulated garlic, onion, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika)
1/3c vegetable oil for shallow frying
4 Bolillo rolls
3TBS salted butter
Pico de gallo
Refried beans (optional)
**Try and look for pickled jalapenos with garlic and seasonings listed in the ingredients. More flavorful chicken!
1. About 30 minutes before cooking, marinate the chicken by placing the chicken in a bowl with ½ c of the brine from the jalapenos.
2. Remove the chicken after marinating and pat dry. Prepare your workstation by setting up the flour, egg, and panko. Season each one with a pinch of each of the dry seasonings and salt. Mix until seasonings are evenly distributed.
3. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. This will be used to keep the chicken warm.
4. Season both sides of the chicken with the dry seasonings. Measure with your heart.
5. Dip each side of the chicken in the seasoned flour, followed by the egg wash, and panko bread crumbs. Be sure to evenly coat each side of the chicken.
6. Set on a plate and repeat with the remaining 3 chicken cutlets.
7. In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil to the pan. Enough to cover the bottom of the pan until shimmering.
8. Working in batches if needed, cook the chicken cutlets for about 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
9. Add the chicken to a rimmed baking sheet fitted with a cooling rack and place in preheated oven to keep warm.
10. Working in batches if needed, on a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm 2-3TBS butter, and place both sides of the Bolillo rolls face down to toast until golden brown.
11. To assemble the sandwiches, spread each side with mayo or alternately 1 side with mayo and one side with refried beans, place the chicken on top of the bottom half, followed by the queso fresco, pickled jalapenos, pico de gallo, and sliced avocado. Season the top of the avocados with salt and a squeeze of lime before putting the top bun on.
12. Slice in half and serve with your favorite hot sauce or more jalapenos!