Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese
This is really one of the BEST Vegan Mac and Cheese recipes and it’s so easy to make! The stove top version is ready in less than 20 minutes, or bake it for a few minutes with a buttery breadcrumb topping. Irresistibly cheesy and creamy without a any of the dairy!
For the Cheese Sauce:
½ c Vegan Butter
6 tbsp All Purpose Flour
5 c Coconut Milk
1 c Vegetable broth (recipe on kittch)
3 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 c Nutritional Yeast Flakes
3 tsp Onion Powder
3 tsp Garlic Powder
1 ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
1 ½ tsp Salt
1 ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 to 2 c cheddar, shredded-optional
For the Macaroni:
16 oz Elbow Macaroni
For the Breadcrumb Topping:
1 c Panko Breadcrumbs
2 tbsp Vegan Butter Melted
1. Add the vegan butter to a pot and let it melt. When it’s melted add in the all purpose flour and stir it vigorously with the melted butter.
2. Then pour in the coconut milk and the vegetable stock. Use a hand whisk to whisk out the lumps. Keep whisking until it starts to boil and then keep whisking for a few minutes after it has boiled until it thickens. It will continue to thicken as it cools, so it doesn’t have to be all the way there when you remove it from the heat, as long as it has thickened considerably from when you started.
3. Remove it from the heat and add in the dijon mustard, turmeric, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and whisk in. Now your sauce is ready, you can prepare your macaroni.
4. Cook your macaroni according to the package directions.
5. Add the cooked macaroni into the pot of sauce and toss it up with the sauce.
6. Then transfer the macaroni and sauce to a 9×13 baking dish and smooth down as you alternate with cheese if using any.
7. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
8. Prepare the crumbs. In a mixing bowl, add in the melted vegan butter and toss up the crumbs.
9. Place the breadcrumbs evenly over the top of the macaroni N cheese.
10. Bake for 20 minutes until the topping is golden brown and crispy.