Coconut Cream Pesto Pasta
Coconut cream pesto pasta with roasted tomatoes and undetectable spinach!? Yes, summertime! This vibrant, satisfying, vegan, and (optionally) gluten-free pasta dish is so delicious, and surprisingly quick & easy to make. I love it for nights when we’re craving comforting pasta but don’t want to miss out on a serving (or two) of veggies!
ROASTED TOMATOES, optional
2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tsp sea salt
12 oz. dry pasta or your favorite gluten-free
CREAMY PESTO SAUCE
1 c coconut cream
1 c tightly packed fresh basil, large stems removed
1 c baby spinach
1/4 c evoo
1 tbsp Tuscany seasoning
2 c loosely packed fresh spinach
1 large clove garlic, peeled
1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp nutritional cheese
1/2 tsp sea salt
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the halved cherry tomatoes to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat. Arrange tomatoes cut side down, sprinkle with salt, and roast for 25-30 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender and the skins have shriveled slightly.
1. Add 3 quarts of water and 1 tbsp salt to a large pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta, stir, and set a timer according to your pasta package instructions for an al dente texture.
2. Reserve some pasta water for later.
1. Meanwhile, to a high speed blender, add coconut cream, basil, spinach, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, Tuscany seasoning and salt. Blend on high until smooth and no bits remain — about 1 minute. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more lemon juice for brightness, nutritional yeast for savory notes, or salt to taste.
2. Test pasta for doneness. When it’s ready, drain the pasta and reserve about 1 cup liquid. Return the pasta to the pot (off the heat) and add in the basil pesto sauce. Stir to coat, but avoid heating as the sauce will lose its bright green color.
3. Divide between serving bowls and garnish with roasted tomatoes, vegan parmesan cheese, and freshly chopped basil (all optional).