STUFFED CABBAGE W/ CHILI SOY
A fun twist on cabbage rolls, these Asian Stuffed Napa Cabbage Rolls are a great addition to your family dinner rotation.
1/2 lb shiitake mushroom, chopped
1/2 lb cauliflower, chopped
2 carrots, shredded
1 c cooked jasmine rice
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp ginger, minced
1/2 c onion, minced
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp chili or chili-garlic sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
leaves from 1 large head of Napa cabbage
scallion for garnish
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp chili oil (recipe on my kittch)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp veg broth
1. Prepare your filling by adding about 1/4 cup of oil or less to a large saute pan.
2. Start cooking your garlic, ginger, and onion, once nicely brown add your mushroom and cauliflower to get a nice caramelization.
3. Now add the shredded carrots, cooked rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, chili sauce, and a pinch of salt and black pepper, and stir to combine. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
4. Bring a pot of water to a low boil, add 1 tsp salt. Add 3-4 leaves at a time, and boil for just 2-4 minutes. Remove and add to an ice bath.
5. To make your leaves easy to roll, use a rolling pin to flatten them to make leaves more pliable. If you find that your leaves are on the smaller side, use two to roll, overlapping both ends to make one big leaf.
6. Spoon your filling onto each leaf. Carefully roll each leaf tightly and place side by side in a large baking dish.
7. In a large saute pan add just enough oil to barely cover the bottom and get it hot. Sear cabbage on as many sides as you can.
8. Combine all sauce ingredients and mix.
9. Plate cabbage rolls, top with sauce and garnish.