ST. LUCIAN GREEN FIG SALAD
A St. Lucian inspired salad made from boiled green figs (green bananas) mixed together with vegetables and homemade vegan mayonnaise. The perfect Caribbean side dish that is dairy free and vegan friendly.
5-6 green bananas washed
1 large sweet red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1/2 c carrots, chopped
1/2 c peas
½ small onion sliced thinly
2 bunches scallion sliced
½ tbsp. of thyme
1 tbsp of parsley
1 tsp of flavor maker
½ c of vegan mayonnaise, see my channel for recipe
black pepper and sea salt to taste
1. Bring a large saucepot of water to the boil (about ¾ full).
2. Score the top and end of the fig (don't completely cut off these parts) then slice the skin lengthways and repeat with the other bananas.
3. Carefully add the figs to the pot of water and leave to boil until they are soft and tender (this should take about 15 minutes or so). Do not overcook, You are looking for cooked but still firm when done.
4. While the figs are boiling, add the mixed vegetable to a medium sized saucepan with water and parboil for a few minutes then drain off the water and set aside.
5. Once the figs have cooked, drain off the water and allow to cool.
6. Once cool, remove the skin and discard.
7. Cut the fig into small pieces and add to a large bowl.
8. Combine with the carrots, peas, bell pepper, onion, scallion, mustard powder, flavor maker, parley and thyme.
9. Add the mayo.
Then add black pepper and salt to taste.