The most flavorful Crispy Chili Oil
This crispy chili oil is the perfect accompaniment to just about everything savory you feel like eating – be it steamed veggies, soup, a fancy bowl, or even instant noodles. Just a teaspoonful or two will turn that mild meal into something you can really sink your teeth into. And if all you really have is pasta, boil it up and toss it with crispy chili oil for a spicy, tasty meal that’ll leave a tingle.
1.5 c vegetable oil
4 bay leaves
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp minced ginger
4 Thai chilies, minced
3 tbsp Korean chili flakes
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 small piece of kombu seaweed (about 1 inch)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp annatto seeds, crushed
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Chinatown seasoning
1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1. Heat about half the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the bay leaves, minced garlic, minced ginger, and minced Thai chilies to the saucepan. Saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
3. Off the fire add the Korean chili flakes, annatto seeds, sugar, Chinatown seasoning, black peppercorns, and coriander seeds to the saucepan. Stir well to combine.
4. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally and in the sesame seeds and kombu seaweed.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add remaining oil, onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce and mix well. Let the chili sauce cool for a few minutes.