Caribbean Sorrel Drink
This delicious tangy spice-infused drink is a traditional holiday drink in several parts of the Caribbean and a definite crowd pleaser for the new year. Come join me as I create this delicious drink in St. Lucia. Cheers!
1 c dried sorrel (roselle/hibiscus)
5 c water
1 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise, whole (optional)
1 piece orange peel, fresh (2-3 inches)
2 tsp sugar or more (to taste)
1. Combine all ingredients, except the sugar, in a large pot.
2. Gently simmer for about 10 minutes, then remove from heat. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours to infuse the flavor.
3. Strain the mixture into a glass pitcher. Set in fridge and allow to chill.
4. When ready to serve, sweeten and/or dilute the mixture to your preference. Serve over ice.
5. Store unused portion in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It is normal to see some sediment in the bottle after a few days.