Smashed and Garlicky Potatoes
Try this crispy, garlicky potato recipe for the holidays! It’s fun to smash them, too.
2 pounds small red or Yukon Gold potatoes
1 drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons jarred minced garlic, divided
1 stick salted butter (you can also use compound butter), sliced into pieces
1 pinch Italian seasoning
Fresh cracked black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the whole potatoes to the boiling water and boil until fork-tender, 8–10 minutes. Using a colander, drain the potatoes, then set aside until cool to the touch.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle it with olive oil. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the minced garlic over the oil on the baking sheet, then add the cooled potatoes to the sheet.
4. Using a pint glass, firmly press each potato in the middle to flatten it until it “cracks” or “pops.” Add pieces of the butter to the sheet to taste, along with the remaining minced garlic. Season with the Italian seasoning, salt, and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Mix to thoroughly combine, then arrange the potatoes in a single layer.
5. Bake until the potatoes are very browned and crispy, flipping once if needed, about 20 minutes total. Serve hot with your favorite sauce for dipping (I recommend spicy ranch!).