A childhood favorite, grown up a bit… and fried. If you like bananas and chocolate, this one is for you!
2–4 ripe bananas
½ tablespoon Hershey’s cocoa powder
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package refrigerated wonton wrappers, brought to room temperature
1 egg, beaten
Granulated sugar (for sprinkling on top)
1. In a large pot, heat about a 1-inch of layer vegetable oil to 200–250ºF.
2. Cut the bananas into thirds, then cut the pieces in half to give each a flat side.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and brown sugar.
4. Working 1 at a time, assemble the wontons: Separate a wonton wrapper, then scoop ½ teaspoon of the cocoa mixture onto the middle of the wrapper. Top with a banana, flat side down. Brush the edges of the wonton with egg wash, then carefully and tightly seal the wontons. You can either close them into little “purses” or form them into a traditional wonton shape.
5. Carefully add the assembled wontons to the hot oil. Fry until golden, 1–2 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, transfer the wontons to a wire rack to cool. Immediately sprinkle with granulated sugar while they’re still hot, and serve!