Famous Jalapeños with Calabama Ranch Dip
I’m taking y’all back to one of my very first recipes! These are so spicy, addictive, impressive, and well—famous. They are roasted, stuffed, and grilled, and can be made in advance!
16 green jalapeños
16 ounces cream cheese
16 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
16 slices bacon
16 ounces sour cream
1 packet ranch seasoning
Calabama hot sauce
1. The night before you plan to serve these, complete steps 1–4: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Wash and dry the jalapeños. Place them on a baking sheet and dry-roast for 10–12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Once cool, prep the roasted jalapeños: Put on your gloves. Using a sharp knife, carve a “7” into each jalapeño (this will help you access the inside of the pepper while leaving the outside, including the stem, intact). Using your fingers, gently remove the ribs and seeds from the inside of the pepper—it’s ok if you don’t get all of them. Take your time here.
3. Stuff the jalapeños: Spoon 1–1 ½ tablespoons of cream cheese into the inside of each pepper, gently forming the cream cheese to fit inside. Top the cream cheese with some of the shredded cheese and close the pepper.
4. Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each stuffed jalapeño, starting at the stem and working down. Wrap them as tightly as you can, covering the entire slit with bacon. Secure each jalapeño with a toothpick. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. When you’re ready to serve, preheat a griddle or flat-top grill to medium-high heat. Remove the toothpicks from the stuffed jalapeños, then place the peppers on the griddle. Cook, watching carefully and rotating, until the bacon is evenly cooked on all sides.Transfer to a serving platter and let cool slightly.
6. In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream and ranch seasoning following the package instructions on the seasoning. Season to taste with Calabama hot sauce.
7. Serve the jalapeños with the Calabama ranch for dipping!