Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Choose from my original, classic mashed potato recipe and the pimento cheese version!
1 pound Yukon Gold or red potatoes
16 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
1 jar diced pimentos with liquid
6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
Cayenne pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1–2 sticks Kerrygold salted butter
⅓ cup whole milk
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Gently add the whole, unpeeled potatoes and boil until a fork goes all the way through them easily, 15-20 minutes.
3. While the potatoes boil, make the pimento cheese: In a blender or food processor, combine the shredded Cheddar, diced pimentos and their liquid, softened cream cheese, cayenne pepper (if using), and black pepper to taste. Blend to thoroughly combine.
4. Once the potatoes are done, strain and return them to the hot pot. Immediately add the milk and 1 stick of the butter. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes with the skins on. Be careful not to over-mash, or you may get a gummy or mealy texture.
5. Stir in the minced garlic and season generously with salt and pepper to taste. (If you just want classic mashed potatoes, your work is done! Top them with more butter and serve now.)
6. Fold the pimento cheese into the mashed potatoes, being careful not to over-mix. Transfer to a buttered casserole dish and top with pats of butter. Bake until brown and bubbly, 15–20 minutes. Serve!