Best Southern Breakfast
Giving y’all a classic southern breakfast combo here! We’re doing creamy cheese grits, browned sausage, and perfectly fried eggs‚ plus toast, too. Don’t forget the coffee!
2 cups water
2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking grits (uncooked)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter
Freshly cracked black pepper
1–2 pounds breakfast sausage (I like spicy sausage links)
4 fresh eggs
4–8 slices white bread
Garlic salt to taste
1. Cook the grits: In a 3-quart saucepan, combine the water, milk, and salt and bring to a boil. Whisk in the grits and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook until the grits are tender, 5–6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheeses and butter. Sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
2. Cook the sausage: In a medium nonstick pan, fry the sausage until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain, leaving the grease behind in the pan for cooking the eggs.
3. Cook the eggs: Place the pan with the sausage grease over medium heat. Carefully crack 1 egg at a time into the hot grease, leaving the yolk intact. Fry until crispy and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Carefully slide the eggs onto a plate and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Toast the bread and top it with garlic salt to taste. Slice it into triangles.
5. Serve the grits, fried eggs, and sausage with the toast for dipping.