Beefy Cornbread Casserole
This is a comfort food classic, y’all! It’s easy and great for a midweek meal.
1 pound ground beef
½ medium white or yellow onion, diced
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning, plus more taste
1 15-ounce can green peas, drained
1 box (8 1⁄2 ounces) Jiffy corn muffin mix
⅓ cup buttermilk or regular milk
1 large egg
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. In a large skillet (use a cast-iron skillet if you’d like to serve the dish in the same pan), brown the ground beef over medium heat until cooked through. Drain off some of the liquid fat, leaving some in. Add the onion and cook until softened, 3–5 minutes more. Season with the garlic powder, Creole seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the drained peas and mix to combine. Reduce the heat and bring the mixture to a simmer.
3. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the corn muffin mix, buttermilk, and egg. Mix to thoroughly combine.
4. Transfer the beef mixture to a greased casserole dish (or leave it in the cast-iron skillet, if using). Spread it in an even layer. Pour over the cornbread batter, starting in the middle and spreading it to the sides of the dish. Top with the cheese, if desired.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the dish comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Slice and serve! This dish pairs well with sour cream and hot sauce.